July Already!

Where does the time go? The Fourth of July has come and gone and that means more than 1/ 3 of the summer is already behind us, yet it hasn't felt like summer for me at all until the past few days. We had a very relaxed and enjoyable combined 4th of July celebration and Bascom Family Reunion, and I will write more about that in the newsletter. My only regret about that was that there were so many family members missing. However, I am afraid that will be the rule from now on because the older the grandchildren get, the more they are involved in and the less likely they are to be able to come to family gatherings. That doesn't mean we won't continue to get together regularly with everyone who CAN come.
        Since I was so ill, I have become re-committed to improving our diet, so that both Gary and I can be as healthy as possible and stay around to enjoy our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren as long as Heavenly Father will allow. It is a constant challenge to prepare healthy food that Gary will eat, but I continue to find new ways to do it. Most recently I found a cookbook which uses pureed vegetables in many, many recipes and I believe that, along with our green smoothies, will improve our health and vitality---IF I can keep up with it. It is quite time consuming, but then what is a more important use of my time???  because if we don't have health and strength we can't do the most important things we want to continue to be able to do-- helping to move the kingdom of God forward, and strengthening our family.

  I have two June events I haven't blogged yet, so this is as good a time as any. When I was starting to feel better after my three weeks of being sick, I decided we needed to just get away for a night or two, and Loree was able to arrange a really good deal for us at Daniel's Summit Lodge, east of Heber on the weekend of June 12. It rained the whole time we drove there and all the time we were there, so that was a little frustrating. However, the location was perfect for Gary because it was rustic, cowboy style decor and lots of things he enjoyed looking at both in the lodge and the store/restaurant. The main thing I had in mind was a place where I could rest and read without any meals to prepare etc. but there wasn't even a comfortable chair in our room where I could sit and relax, and there was precious little food I could eat on the menu at the restaurant so it was a disappointment for me. But I decided Gary needed a break as much as I did, and he thoroughly enjoyed himself, so it was worthwhile even if it didn't give me the kind of break I had expected. Here are pictures of inside and out at the Lodge.


 


Then next event was Father's Day, and we invited Rob and his family and Mike and his family to a Father's Day dinner, and the following are the pictures we took that day.



 Isn't family wonderful? We never have to worry about having something special to do on special holidays because there are always kids or grandkids who either invite us or ones we want to invite to help us celebrate!

No comments: